Reflection on a New Year by Sr. Joanne Donovan
The beginning of a new year always merits some reflection. It is a time to ponder life and review our personal growth. It is a good opportunity to reflect on what guides our thoughts and decisions. It is a time to look for what allows us to give to others. We can ponder the graced moments. We lack for little and yet still yearn. We pray that God continues to teach us to appreciate what has come as blessing and gift and how best we can give to others in need. Keep on encouraging and challenging us to share what we have. Let us give thanks for all that has been granted to us.
A New Year’s Meditation (Adapted from Joyce Rupp)
As you look back on the year just completed:
- What name would you give to your journey of the past year?
- How would you describe it to one of your friends?
- What were some of your “epiphanies” of the past year?
- How did you grow because of them?
- Who were your wise persons?
- What did they reveal to you?
- How did this influence your life?
- Did any of your hopes and dreams become reality?
As you look to the year before you:
- What name would you like your new year’s journey to have?
- What gifts do you bring with you into the year before you?
- Do you find any resistance within you?
- Of what are you most afraid?
- What is your greatest need?
- Who do you bring with you for your support and strength as you begin to journey this new year?
- What do you hope to contribute to those less fortunate?